September 26, 2011

Peanut Butter Smores No Bake Cookies



Snob.  I am.  I am a snob to "no-bake" cookies.  Cookies require baking.  Until now!  I found a recipe in a Parents magazine, copied it, and set out to make the treat.  The only problem is that it is severely lacking in instruction...detailed instruction.  Since I never read past the ingredients, I had no idea until I dove right in.  I took the recipe, and used it as the structure to my cookie.  This cookie tastes more like a Reese's peanut butter cup and smores combined.  It got rave reviews from the neighbors, so try it for yourself!

 
Peanut Butter Smores No Bake Cookies
by Susan Costiloe-Bentley

1 1/2 cups graham-cracker crumbs
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (or Nutella)
1/3 cup maple syrup (more as needed for moisture)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
7 oz marshmallow cream (1 small jar)
1 cup chocolate chips (I used milk and dark chocolate)
Nonstick cooking spray
Baking Sheet lined with parchment or wax paper


1. Crush graham crackers in a large zip lock bag or with a masher in a large bowl. 


2. Melt chocolate chips in glass bowl in microwave - 15 seconds at a time until just melted (may take 1-3 sets of 15 secs to melt); stir chocolate until uniformly melted until and drips off spoon. Set bowl aside.  

 

3. Combine peanut butter, maple syrup, sugar, and vanilla with spoon or mixer. Add 2 tablespoons of melted chocolate*; stir.

4. Add crumbs to peanut butter mixture. Stir with spoon until incorporated. Shape into 24 1  1/4 inch balls. (Add 1 tbs. maple syrup and 1tbs. peanut butter if crumb batter will not hold ball shape). I used a medium scoop to make the balls. Place balls on parchment lined baking sheet. Use a fork to flatten each ball and make a crisscross design on top or use hand to gently flatten.

5. Spray spoon with nonstick cooking spray and stir marshmallow cream. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon of cream on each cookie. Cream should cover top of cookie - add more cream or spread the cream to distribute more evenly (I used a spreader coated in cooking spray to more evenly distribute mine; I also added extra cream to make my extra gooey). Next drizzle melted chocolate over each cookie; more or less to your taste.


6. Place cookie sheet in refrigerator for 5-10 minutes to set the cookie. This step is optional; I did not do this for the cookie pictures.
 

You could also omit the1/4 cup sugar since it is pretty sweet on its own. Other nut butters or substitutes could be used - I just have not used those as of yet.
*If you use Nutella, you may omit chocolate added to base mixture...but that would mean less chocolate for chocolate lovers. 

Look at those gooey, yummy melt-in-your-mouth No Bake Cookies!
I am no longer a must-bake cookie snob.  Try it out and let me know what you think!

No comments: